Enrolling at Birrahlee
If you are considering Birrahlee for your child, it is important to join our waiting list as soon as possible. Vacancies are filled in waiting list order according to date of application, however some exceptions apply.
Start Strong for Community Preschools program guidelines requires preschool providers to give equal priority of access to:
• children who are at least 4 years old on or before the 31 July in that preschool year and not enrolled or registered at a school;
• children who are at least 3 years old on or before 31 July in that preschool year and from low income and/or Aboriginal families;
• children with English language needs;
• children with disability and additional needs; and
• children who are at risk of significant harm (from a child protection perspective).
There is no order of priority assigned to the list of points above. Priority must be given to the groups outlined above before any other groups, including non-equity three year olds.
The guidelines are intended to assist services with making enrolment decisions, in a way that seeks to allocate places to those in the greatest need. However, the particular community needs of the preschool will also be relevant.
The department will compare data collected through the August 2021 Preschool Census to the service’s reported enrolment in the August 2020 Preschool Census to review priority of access. The department periodically conducts audits of preschool services and may request a funding compliance audit in these or other circumstances.
There are limited positions for children who are 3 and they must be 3 years old as of 31 January of the year attending.
There is a $100 non-refundable application fee per family. Enrolments are finalised in August and September for the following year. Upon acceptance of a place, a holding deposit is payable within 5 working days equivalent to 4 weeks’ fees. This amount is deducted from your child’s final term fees.
If you accept a position for the following school year, and cancel before the first school day in Term 4 of the current year, there is a $100 administration fee. After this day, no holding deposits will be refunded.